“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” Many of us know the words, but what do the words mean to you? Here is what I think . . .
To pledge allegiance means that you are taking an oath of loyalty. An oath of loyalty to the flag of the United States of America. The flag of the United States of America being the representation of the ideals that the forefathers of this nation sacrificed so much for. So by pledging allegiance, you are taken an oath of loyalty to the ideals upon which this great nation was founded.
Republic means a country in which the power resides within the people.
One nation under God symbolizes the very reason that the first settlers came to the North America to begin with. To escape religious persecution. It is not in fact stating that you yourself believe in God. It is simply stating that you give an oath of loyalty to the ideal that people of this country are giving the right to choose their religious preference.
Indivisible simply means means a whole which cannot be separated.
With liberty simply means that the people of this country are free from rule from outside governments.
and justice for all simply means that all people are treated fairly and equally.
So the Pledge of Allegiance is an oath the each person will uphold the ideals upon which this nation was founded. Special interests groups would have us believe that schools that recite the Pledge of Allegiance are forcing religious views upon students and violating the very principle of freedom of religion. But remember, it is an oath of loyalty to upholding the values in which this country were founded, not forced prayer to a deity they may or may not believe in.
These special interest groups have separated this one word and have perverted the very meaning of what it symbolizes. Doing this has in fact destroyed what the Pledge is meant to protect. Individuals who believe in the oath and wish to say it in a public setting are not allowed to. Meaning that our country is being separated by a single word taken out of context. We are no longer a country were rule resides with the people. The rule of the land resides with a minority of individuals represented by enemies of this country’s ideals. And justice for all, not hardly. Less than 3% of the population not allowing the other 97% to say this oath in a public domain because they focus on one word that they take out of context. That isn’t justice for anyone.
I know there are people out there that don’t agree with my position. I think that is fantastic. We are a nation that is built on the fact that we can express our ideas freely without fear of backlash from our government. If you have a differing viewpoint, please feel free to share. It is your right. Remember, it is a freedom of, not a freedom from.